Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Bragging

The dictionary defines “bragging” as to talk or write about oneself in a proud or self-impressed way.
 
However, I've noticed that some forms of bragging are seasonal...or should I say only relevant for a short period of time. Bragging about something today, may not be impressive one or two years from now.
 
Here are some examples I've heard in my life:
 
When the famous crime novel "The Godfather" was published in 1969, it was the talk of the town. Everyone, especially girls in college would say, “Yeah, I'm reading The Godfather. It's my kind of story.” or “I already finished reading GF as I got the book on day one”.
 
~ Gee thanks for sharing that. Even though I didn't ask, don't care, and don't wanna know.
 
Here's another - complaining while bragging (so it's not as blatant and in your FACE).
 
Oh boy, do I have problems. There are sooo many little gadgets and shortcuts that I have to learn...on my new Mercedes Benz SUV. It's so annoying!
 
~ Do you know what's really annoying? YOU! You're annoying me with your back handed bragging. Your car might be kewl (cool)...but the driver is certainly an idiot!
 
Trap bragging.
 
Hey let's grab lunch today?
~Ummm...sure where do you wanna go?
I'm sick of French food so anything but French food.
 
~Ummm...ooookkkkaayyy. French food wasn't even on my list of places to go...but I guess I'm also fine with not going with French food. (now I'm thinking quickly...do I ask WHY this person said "anything but French"? No...no I don't wanna fall into the trap.) Dammit! Too late! Someone overheard us at the office and asked, "Hey why are you sick of Fren"...and before they can finish the sentence...the following answer was given.
 
(Sighs)...because we just spent the long weekend in Paris. It was just a quick getaway trip. Spur of the moment. We just decided to go...just like that...so we went. I'm soooo tired of French food now. (sighs)
 
~Somebody please stab me with a fork and put me out of my misery! The next one hour everything came back to the same topic. French Fries - So when we were in Paris... ... ... French Toast - So this past weekend in Paris... ... ... ~Great... Well you can just kiss my eiffel tower!
 
So why did I write this blog post? I'm wondering if this latest trend is kind of, sort of, in some way... a back handed way of bragging and showing how kewl people are (yes kewl like Cartman).
 
The new phrase is...
 
I'm currently under self imposed quarantine.
 
----Now wait...hear me out.---
 
I've noticed that many politicians, famous athletes, movie stars, and other VIPs say those words. But to me it sounds like they wanna brag and be kewl. Of course, they wanna be cautious and careful (I get that) however...if you are under self-imposed quarantine then why are you announcing it to everyone?
 
Why don't you just quarantine yourself quietly and privately.
 
Why self promote, advertise, and announce to the whole world?
 
This of course is another "time-bound" type of bragging. A front running, I'm ahead of the pack, public bragging. One year from now...NOBODY CARES! Or...maybe I'm overreacting?
 
And if I am...then expect me to announce later this week that after careful consideration, I've decided to place myself on self imposed quarantine (even though I haven't traveled, haven't shown symptoms, and have not come into contact with anyone who has the virus).
 
PS:  I gave a draft of this post to someone for editing.  I usually don't do this.  He completely rewrote in his own "American" style.  He told me I don't have to use his version.  Since I liked his version, I am publishing it.

12 comments:

  1. Ok so I have a few questions
    1. Did the person who edited this for you a Bragger?
    2. Do you brag SG?

    Coming to the topic on hand, in today's time and world if you dont brag you dont exist. Sadly that's the harsh truth. E.g no one reads resumes nowadays they hear how you market yourself and that's bragging .....sad but true..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Dee. The person who edited this is certainly not a bragger. Do I brag? No. Sometimes if someone asks me a direct question and my reply will sound like bragging. That is why most of the time I purposely keep quiet and not say anything about hundreds of anecdotes from my past life. Is that bragging? HeHe.

      Bragging to market yourself is fine. My problem is excessive bragging. For Example, big headline in a Tamil daily yesterday was Movie Director Mani Rathnam’s son is in self imposed quarantine. Very important and critical information for the public.

      Delete
  2. There is a subtle message in the post cutting like rapier leaving no open wounds.Braggers,please note. Me too liked the writing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Mr. KP. Glad you liked the writing. I am sure he will appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. Good to know that you are doing good.

    It's quite difficult to differetiate sharing and bragging. It is also subjective. Usually, many people don't listen but talk even if people don't listen. It's strange! Isn't it?

    I would like to read your version. Just curious to know about different writing styles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Sindhu. Yes, it is very strange. I will send you separately my original version.

      Delete
  4. When I used to get upset at such bragging, one of my acquaintances told me something that I'll never forget.

    Not just bragging, but all that hate speech, complaining, etc. arises out of some deep sorrow that person is currently facing and is unable to cope.

    So, if we get a little deeper, and understand their circumstances, there is a good chance that we might not get upset - but might actually want to help.

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Rajesh. You have a point. Good one.

      Delete
  5. "I am in self-quarantine", is one. But the other one is, "I am working from home", out of compulsion, of course.
    By the way, this post didn't read like the ones you usually do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Pradeep. Yes, "working from home" too.

      Delete
  6. Aah! My boss will top the list of braggers and he brags and brags at every opportunity. People who brag think it makes them look good, but do they know how other people perceive them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Shilpa. If your boss brags, there is nothing you can do except to GF (smile outwardly but think how rotten this guy is in your mind)

      Delete