Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Ex-Googlers’ Rants

Google laid off 12,000 employees. I have seen newspaper reports some of the laid off employees telling their sad stories, particularly when they received the termination notice. Here are some of them: 

I was fired 4 days after attending my mom’s funeral. 

They sent the termination letter to my personal email address. Indecent people. 

I was driving to my work when I got the news. 

I was interviewing a candidate for job when I received my termination letter. 

I was feeding my daughter at 2 am when I received the dreaded email. 

(Just before I wrote this blog post, I read another news item where this guy says he was on a mental health vacation and "I got my termination letter during this time".  I have no idea what is meant by mental health vacation.)

These are only some of the published stories from the Google employees. I have some more stories that are yet to be published. Here they are: 

I live in Dallas. I got the sad news when the San Francisco 49ers were beating Dallas Cowboys. 

I live in the SF Bay Area. I was stunned when I got my termination letter when Philadelphia Eagles were beating the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Championship game. 

I live in India. I was terminated on January 24, 2023. It was not that bad. January 24th was the happiest day in my life because India beat New Zealand in the ODI on that day. 

I live in London. I got laid off on the day Rishi Sunak was fined for not wearing a seat belt in his car. 

I was having a good time with a fellow female Google employee. We both got the bad news same time. We were so upset that we.........

I was watching a YouTube video about Sundar Pichai’s annual salary and bonus. He was so happy he was showing his maxillary teeth (see below). At that exact moment I got my termination email.



12 comments:

  1. Rishi Sunak getting fined for not wearing a seat belt says volumes about the democratic system they have in UK.

    Can that happen even to the PA of a minor minister in certain other democratic countries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Rajesh. I wonder which are the countries you had in mind.

      Delete
  2. I couldn't stop laughing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Mr. KP. I think this is Mr. KP.

      Delete
  3. I have read such horror stories myself, it is really heartbreaking

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly sad.
    Wonder what do they do with their phenomenal profits & wealth.
    Supporting employees does not rank high for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stoppage of livelihood in an abrupt manner is indeed shocking for many a one, not many a one but all the ones. all the household chores will fall into a pit. It is too bad that Google has done thus. Good topic befitting the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Firing 12000 employees is a lot. Why did they fire? Why there was no notice given?

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Hire and fire" has been a popular policy of many companies who have embraced one type of office management.
    However, I am told that in Japan, companies rarely fire their employees. They always try to retrain and relocate the redundant employees.
    I liked your sense of humour in the unpublished responses of Google employees.

    ReplyDelete