Sunday, December 24, 2023

Falimy

Last night I saw a Malayalam movie, Falimy, released in OTT recently (HULU). I did not make a spelling mistake. Yes, it is named Falimy (instead of Family). The movie comes with English close caption. 

This is not a review about the direction, cinematography, songs, etc. This is what my opinion of the movie. 

This movie was directed by Nithish Sahadev, a debutant director. The hero is Basil Joseph.

There is a family living in Trivandrum. Chandran, his wife Rema, their two sons Anoop and Abhi and Chandran’s dad Janardanan. They are kind of dysfunctional family. Anoop who is working as dubbing artist does not have good relationship with his dad Chandran. The second son Abhi who is a student wants to immigrate to London, UK. (I don’t know why he is wearing T-shirt with the name showing Los Angeles.) 

The grandpa Janardanan wants to go to Kaashi (Benares) and no one is helping him. He decides to go by himself without telling anyone in the house. He was caught in the railway station by Abhi and he brings the grandpa home. 

Anoop decides to take the grandpa to Kaashi. And finally, the whole family decided to go. Their travel from Trivandrum to Kaashi is the most hilarious comedy. I loved every minute of it. I will see the movie 2 more times just for their travel experience. They reach Kaashi and stay in a hotel. Next morning grandpa is missing. The other 4 get in the business of trying to find the grandpa.  Some people are advising them that old people come to Kaashi to die.

Did they find their grandpa? That is the rest of the story. It is worth watching the movie. Please don’t read Wikipedia. It tells the whole story and will spoil your interest. 

During the movie I thought I could guess the ending because I have seen lot of Tamil and Malayalam movies. But the Director of the movie (who is also the writer) gave an unexpected twist at the end. 

Many dialogues are hilarious. One of them I liked very much. Here is the situation. While searching for grandpa, the 4 family members end up in a police station. There is a lady police inspector. These 4 are not able to answer her simple questions. She says: I know the people in the Kerala State are 98% educated and intelligent. Are you four from the other 2% category?

The End.

16 comments:

  1. We watched the movie four days back. It is a good movie. We really enjoyed watching the movie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your nice narration of the outline of the film, without taking away the suspense, whets the desire to watch it as soon as possible!
    I am keen to know what the old man did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Mr. KP. I will wrote you an email.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the suggestion. Shall watch the movie. Meanwhile, I recently saw "Shesham Maikily Fathima". It's the story of a woman who fights odds to become a football commentator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Pradeep. I saw that movie also. Excellent acting by Kalyani Priyadarshan.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for your comments Kirtivasan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this post.... now I am.curious about the Movie.... will definitely watch....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Dee. Very hilarious movie.

      Delete
  6. Interesting movie.
    Did they have spelling error in the name of the movie? In the English-dubbed version- Falimy instead of Family?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Anita. They purposely gave the title Falimy. I think this is their way of saying this is a dysfunctional family.

      Delete
  7. S.G, aha! You watched it and I wanted to view the movie. Somehow the time didn't turn out to be ripe yet. Anyway you created more interest. So, I will watch it.

    Wish you and your kin an awesome new year S.G.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy new year . I never knew about this movie . I shall watch soon

    ReplyDelete