Friday, September 25, 2009

Musical Chairs in the Plane

I am still in Greensboro. Since I had some free time, I thought I would post this.

This happened on our way to Greensboro, North Carolina.

We had booked our flight from San Francisco. It was an A 321 (Air Bus). The plane was fully booked. Whenever I pay for myself, I travel by “cattle class” only. Thank you Mr. Shashi Tharoor for coining that phrase. We could not sit together. My wife’s seat was 7B. My seat was 8B.

In an A 321, there are 3 seats in each row. A is window seat. B is center seat. C is aisle seat. The best is aisle seat. Window seat is second best. Center seat is the worst. We both had the worst seat.

As soon as we entered the plane, my wife sat in 7B. I went to the next row. There was a good-looking girl sitting in 8A. There was a guy sitting in 8C. Now I have to sit between them. The guy was already flirting with that girl. As soon as I approached them, the guy told me he would be glad to sit in the center seat and I can have the aisle seat. It was a win-win situation. I got the aisle seat for me. He has an uninterrupted 5 hours of flirting with that girl and get cozy.

However, man proposes and God disposes. (That good-looking girl must have been a frequent flyer with lot of points to her credit. She must have asked to be upgraded to executive class.) After a few minutes, the airhostess comes and tells the girl that she has been upgraded to executive class. She picks up her stuff and leaves saying goodbye to that guy. Now I took pity on that guy and asked him if he wants his aisle seat back. He said no and he would be happy to sit in the window seat.

However, the airlines think otherwise. Since the girl in 8A has moved to executive class, now that seat is “officially” vacant. After a few minutes, a big fat guy has been allotted that seat and comes and sits in that seat. Now our friend is in the middle seat. I asked him one more time if he wanted his original aisle seat back. Now he is embarrassed to take back what he gave me originally. He said no and I can sit in the aisle seat.

While this is happening in my row, in row 7, a guy came and sat in 7C, the aisle seat. I asked him if he would like to exchange to 8C. He said he would be happy to. Therefore, I took 7C and he took 8C. Now my wife and I were sitting side by side in 7C and 7B.

The poor guy, who gave up his aisle seat in 8C for me so that he can flirt with that good looking girl, ended up sitting in the center seat 8B, between 2 fat guys.

54 comments:

  1. Hahahahahaa....Perfect!!! Man proposes, God disposes.

    Very sad about that guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Insignia. I offered him his original aisle seat back. He should have taken that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol lol lol...bad day for that guy :-)..

    have fun in Greensboro...I was in NC last weekend and enjoyed the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. poor sheer bad luck.... god-damn i hope it neva happens to me

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. poor sheer bad luck.... god-damn i hope it neva happens to me

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for this post SG...I needed such a light, nice and hilarious post...

    amazing one...i won't say poor guy, I will say lucky u :)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bwahahahaha!!

    That’s hilarious. I’ve got no sympathy for him.
    He gave up his seat so he could talk to some chick and now he got ganked.
    Forget about him (Brooklyn accent Fuhget abowdim) – he won’t make that mistake again.

    She was probably an air marshall (or married or a lesbian) anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is nothing wrong with giving up a good thing that you already have and trying to go for a girl who is out of your league.
    And it’s also ok if that girl makes you look like a fool.

    Regards,
    Kevin Federline (K-Fed)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha...that's pretty funny. It was really nice of you to keep offering him back his original seat.

    Nice to see you posting all the way from NC.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your comments P. Probably that was not his day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thansk for your comments Titaxy. The weather in NC is fine today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your comments SiMbAtAgO. And, welcome to my blog. I hope this never happens to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your comments Neha. Yes, I was the lucky guy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lots can happen over the aisles and windows.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for your comments The Cagey Bee. She may be anything. But there is nothing wrong in him trying his luck.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your comments Kevin. Philosophical statements are good. But first take care of your legal custody battle with your ex-wife Britney Spears, for your two children.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your comments JaGo. I offered him the seat he gave me because he did not get what he wanted in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for your comments The unsure ascetic. And, welcome to my blog. Sure, a lots can happen over the aisles and windows. But that poor guy would never know what would have happned had that girl did not move to the executive class.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahaha...lovely...poor guy must have had a boring journey!!
    Well i think Mr. Sashi Tharoor needs some experience to as far as politics is concerned, needs to b careful with his words n "TWITTER"...LOLZ....but i still feel he never meant this...!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for your comments Nazish. I like Mr. Tharoor for coining a new catchy phrase. Each airline arranges seats in their own way. Some have more leg rooms. Some have less leg rooms. Some really looks like cattle shelters.

    ReplyDelete
  21. lol.. u have to bear some pain when ur preferences are over flirting..

    ReplyDelete
  22. on my post i replied :-

    " @ SG : hey thanks for making it more lovely by adding the tag of "deserve" ... thanks a lot... and as a present i gift it to u too.... my new friend..... great...pls collect it and do the honours.."

    congrats on being awarded...

    now u deserve it too .... :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. ha ha ...poor fellow ! Vidhi yara vitathu ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. subtle comedy! there is something called fate. ha ha... waiting for more from your end.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the award SiMbA tAgO. I feel honored to receive this award from you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for your comments Gautam. I agree with you that it is all fate. Otherwise, why should she sit in 8A only for a few minutes until I get an aisle seat, and then move to the executive class.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for your comments Vaniquest. And, welcome to my blog. Some people say "vidhiyai madhiyaal vellalaam" (one can defeat fate with his/her brains and shrewd thinking). I don't think so. I agree with you "vidhi yara vitathu" (fate does not exempt anyone).

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for your comments Vishnu.

    ReplyDelete
  29. hehe:)...this is what is called destiny:) god wanted you people to sit together:).

    Whenever I travel, I wish to have a family near me, but never get it..murphy's law works here too:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for your comments Renu. Murphy's law? Yes, it works all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for your comments Antarman.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This was perfect!! I liked the post!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for your comments Swatantra. Appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for your comments Disha.

    ReplyDelete
  35. hahahahhahahha! am sure he'll think twice before he offers his best seat next time on flight :) fun post :D
    hope you had a nice trip. or you still in NC?

    ReplyDelete
  36. :D That was hilarious!!

    Musical chairs indeed.. problem is it certainly wasn't music for the flirt !!

    Nicely told.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for your comments Shruthi. Returning home today (Tuesday).

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for your comments lostworld. Poor guy. Or, as Neha said lucky me.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi:)

    First time here and i loved this post. This was so hilarious.So whom did you thank for getting THAT 7C seat, the GOD for disposing or that guy for proposing :P?

    ReplyDelete
  40. another surprise awaits u on my blog, or rather 3 of them...hope you like them all...:)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks for your comments Mustaf. And, welcome to my blog. Of course, thanked God for making that guy to propose and thus paving the way for me. Please come back again.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thank you so much Neha for bestowing those 2 awards upon me. I am honored to receive them from you. Also, thanks for tagging me. I will answer soon. One other tag is already pending.

    ReplyDelete
  43. no problem SG...take ur own time...hope you have had a nice trip...m waiting for a post on tht...this tag can be taken later on...:) in fact better if you take it later, as I am not gonna be around for few days...now it's holiday time for me :))

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks Neha. Hope you have a nice vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  45. :-) Humourous account. That poor guy must have cursed his luck.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thanks for your comments Radha. Yup, he must have cursed his luck.

    ReplyDelete
  47. SG, I will surely write a post on section 498A as well as the overview on the domestic violence act...this idea has been playing on my mind for a long time...I have never been scared or reluctant about speaking my mind, and I think I can take criticism well (at least so far I have been successful)...so let them protest who wants to protest...we will enjoy reading their comments...what say :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Thanks Neha. Looking forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Superbly narrated!!!

    Man proposes - God disposes!

    ReplyDelete