Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Who Would You Hire?

Quite a few years ago, on a very busy day, my boss asked me, in the last minute, to go to a HR training meeting. She was supposed to go. Since she was busy, she asked me to represent her. Since I had a very busy schedule that day I told her I will not go to that meeting. But she insisted I had to go. So I had no other alternative. Corporate world is not a democracy.

The title of the training session was Hiring Techniques. The instructor started with this question to every one: If you have an opportunity to hire someone, who will you hire? Lots of similar answers. Hire someone with great qualifications. Hire someone with a lot of experience. Hire someone with great potential. Etc. Etc.

My turn came. I was already in kaduppu because of my boss. (Kaduppu is a Tamil slang for angry and frustrated but could not do anything about it.) I said I would hire someone if he/she is like me.

Unwittingly, I gave the instructor an opportunity to open up a long discussion and exchange of views. He turned around and asked me why would I hire someone if he/she is like me. I started to blurb out words like similar skills, similar work habits, and similar personality would make me comfortable with that person.

The whole group started to discuss pros and cons. Here are a few opinion voiced by others in that training session:

Hire someone who is experienced in an area where you lack the skills.

Hire someone like you and he/she can take over for you in your absence.

Hire someone with a positive attitude.

Hire someone that you like, that is not like you. (shades of Rajni Kanth?) HuhHUhHUhHaaaaa.

Hire someone that can make your team better.

Hire someone who has a different point of view.

Hire someone like you so he/she can fit into your team.

Dear Blogging Friends,

What do you think? Would you hire someone who is like you? If not, who would you hire?

33 comments:

  1. Yes I would hire someone who is like me as matching of wave lengths is very important to make a successful team. Skill set and competency level comes secondary to it. Why would I match that person with me is because I want to ensure the same level of dedication to work as that is something I can never compromise on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No question about it for me.
    My hiring process is simple – does she have BB-BB-BL?
    If yes, then she’s hired.

    Regards,
    William Jefferson Clinton aka Bill
    BIG Booty, BIG Breasts, BIG Lips

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’d hire someone from Google who will help turn my company around.
    Sheryl has done such a great job.
    Google’s stock is currently at $750 and rising…while Facebook shares are at $21 and dropping.

    Go Sheryl Sandberg!
    Yes…Go Sheryl.
    Go away. Go far, far away.

    Regards,
    Mark SUCKerberg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your commenrts Me. I agree with you. I would hire someone who is like me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments Bill.

    Bubba, don't be bashful. Say what you honestly think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments Mark.

    The curse of Winklevoss twins and Divya Narendra is going to haunt you for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the biggest qualifications for getting hired and lasting for a long time in a corporate company is someone who cannot do the job of their boss. Bosses are generally afraid of being 'replaced' forever!

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whenever I have had the opportunity to pick guys for my team, I go for complementary skill sets. It is no good if everyone is a great leader because at the end of the day not everyone CAN be a leader. Similarly, I don't like too many senior people in my team because it can make the dynamics very difficult to deal with. In short, if I have to hire someone they have to complement the skill sets of the existing people in my team.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am at a point wondering whether people will hire me? So no ideas when I figure why they hired me, I shall answer this.

    My sister would have better at answering this question considering it is her area of expertise... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your comments Rajesh. So don't hire a Mr./Ms. Know It All.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your comments Ekta. I understand what you are trying to say.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your comments Swati. It is good to hire someone who can complement the skill set.

    When you mentioned "senior people", I hope you did not mean the age of the person. If that is the case, it could land you in trouble here. Of course, lot of people do it subtly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your comments Aparna. This topic, at least, will help you prepare for your interview.

    I would appreciate if you send a link of this post to your sis.

    ReplyDelete
  14. No, I was meaning too many Senior Engineers. In software industry particularly where engineers are very opinionated (or at least in the companies I have worked for), if I put few of them in the room, the work shall never be done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would never hire a person like me because all projects would be stopped the midway after both of us would have a mood swing after sometime..:D..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your clarifications Swati. I really appreciate your taking the time to write this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your comments Ranita. I think you should be very careful when hiring someone to work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would hire a person like me who is highly committed to the work, who will treat the company as his/her own , who will treat the work place as his/her own

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for your comments Chitra. So you would hire someone like you. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hire only domestic servants:) and I go for people with good manners and polite demenour...rest i cant compromise and teach too...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Interesting question - I would hire someone if I thought they had good work ethic.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for your comments Renu. Hiring technique is the same whether you hire a domestic servant or a office person.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for your comments Veena. So you would hire someone like you. Good.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The person should be sincere in his work and hard working. He should be eager to learn his job. That's it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would like to hire somebody i find passionate, open to new ideas,[like me B-) ]....Skill might be different from me as it will build a strong team.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for your comments Sandhya. I like your hiring technique.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for your comments Priyaa. So you will hire someone like you. OK, you are on my side.

    ReplyDelete
  28. i would hire someone who is honest and can take any challenge without having any fear of failures..you understand one who says 'try try till you die' .. the one with never dying spirit!

    very nice post SJ .. my first time here and definitely not the last!

    regards
    rahul

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for your comments Rahul. And, welcome to my blog. So, you will hire someone like you. That is great.

    Rahul, please visit here as often as possible. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  30. A thoughtful question is thrown into the reader's mind.Since I believe in God,I'll hire Him to hire someone befitting me.

    ReplyDelete