Saturday, March 2, 2024

Strange but True

A friend of mine used to go to his uncle’s home in a village to spend his summer vacation. There were about 15 of his cousins spending the summer vacation there. 

They had a huge backyard with lots of trees. Mainly coconut trees. Plus a few others like many vegetables, curry leaves tree, banana trees, orange trees, and a lone tall jackfruit tree (in Tamil Palaappazha maram). 

Even though everything was producing results, the jackfruit tree was not producing any result. It has been there for more than 10 years. 

One day, the aunt called my friend and asked him to do a favor. She asked him to get naked and go to the backyard and hug the jackfruit tree and come back. My friend said what the heck are you talking about. I will not do that. But the aunt begged him and since he loved his aunt, he said I will do this on 2 conditions. 

I will do this when no one is home. 

You should never ever tell anyone I did this. 

Auntie agreed. One day auntie sent all the other cousins to a movie in a nearby town. My friend undressed, got naked, went to the backyard, hugged the jackfruit tree for just a second, came back home and got dressed. The whole episode took less than 30 seconds.

 Auntie never talked about this incident to anyone. No one else knew. 

Bingo, from next year onwards, that jackfruit tree gave at least 10 to 15 fruits every year for the next several years. 

Is this a coincidence or is this a strange phenomenon!

16 comments:

  1. For a change, this blog is on a different genre. Sometimes superstitious beliefs also work. Could be coincidence I think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Gowri. I have no idea if this is superstitious or coincidence.

      Delete
  2. How strange and weird the treatment was to get the jackfruit tree productive? Must hv been an odd practice that was prevalent as the lady of the house knew about it.
    Maybe one of the requirements could be the man shd be a bachelor, as she did not ask her husband to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Mr. KP. HaHaHa. my friend does not know if the aunt asked her husband or not.

      Delete
  3. My doubt is how come the auntie didn't ask her own kid to do it, instead she asked someone else. Also where is your friend now? Did she share this with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Dee. I have no answer to your questions. The aunt did not tell me because I do not know her. My friend is somewhere in this world. Not in everyday touch with him.

      Delete
  4. Could this have been a smokescreen? Like, she did something else to make it fruit, but the world thinks this is the reason..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Rajesh. i or my friend have no idea.

      Delete
  5. Not everything in life cannot be explained. This is one such.
    One doubt, nevertheless.
    What is the proof that your friend did what he was told to. Since he had said no one should be in the house, I presume the aunt too was not at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Pradeep. Good question. I do not know the answer. I will check my friend and get back to you. In that case I have to tell him I wrote a blog post about this. He may not like that.

      Delete
  6. I am not sure of the reason behind this but in the modern world, to believe in such hypothesis one needs further data and reasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is superstition. But I feel if superstition does not affect anyone much then it can be followed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. S.G. I had sent my impressions on this post narrating one incident of ours. Don't know if I had forgotten click 'publish'. I l read this post with a bit of nostalgia because our childhood enjoyed togetherness of cousins in grandpa's house.

    We have a mango tree in the backside courtyard and it was reluctant to bear fruits. On somebody's instruction, I cut the tree with a hatchet, threatening that I would be felling it fully the following year, if it didn't bloom. To my surprise it bloomed fully, as if a bride got ready for her nuptial. Till now our tree serves us with a lot of mangoes every year. Might be some stimulation of the iron.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting anecdote... Nature, just like humans can behave in unpredictable ways :)

    ReplyDelete