Tuesday, March 22, 2016

A Page from the Past

I was reading an Indian web newspaper the other day. I was glad to read that the passengers traveling only on domestic sector on an international route do not have to declare the customs declaration form. For example, if a passenger is traveling from Delhi to Chennai only on a plane that goes form Delhi to Chennai to Colombo, he/she need not fill up Indian Customs Declaration Form.
 
That reminded me of something that happened a while ago.
 
At that time we were living in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. My company sent me there from USA on an overseas assignment. For the weekend, we were going from Riyadh to Chennai via Mumbai. We landed in Mumbai and took another flight from Mumbai to Chennai. That flight’s final destination was Singapore (I think).
 
We were traveling in executive class. After the plane took off from Mumbai, the flight steward took orders for our drinks. I ordered a scotch and soda. He asked what the madam would like to have. I asked him to ask the madam directly. My wife said she would like to have orange juice. (I have no idea why he cannot ask her directly.)
 
There was another passenger. He also ordered scotch and soda. But the flight steward told him he cannot give him alcoholic drink because he is flying only on a domestic sector (Mumbai to Chennai). The flight steward explained – in order to get an alcoholic drink a passenger should have arrived from a foreign country or must be going to a foreign country. So no drink for the other passenger.
 
I am not the guy to let an opportunity like this to go away. I called the flight steward. I told him “madam” has changed her mind. She would also like to have a scotch and soda in addition to her orange juice. The flight steward was puzzled.
 
He brought an orange juice and a scotch for her and a scotch for me. I took the scotch from my wife’s tray and gave to the fellow “domestic” passenger and said “enjoy the drink”.
 
The flight steward was witnessing this. He said nothing.
 
My thought is either give alcoholic drinks to everyone or do not give to anyone until the flight is cleared of all domestic passengers.  What do you say?
 

23 comments:

  1. Strange indeed and interesting thoughts, and that was a thoughtful move by yourself. Warm greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Mr. Blogoratti. I am glad you liked this post.

      Delete
  2. Yes, you are right! How can they insult their passenger like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Sandhya. This airlines has/had strange rules.

      Delete
  3. This was Air India? They have a reputation for 'sticking' to the rule books ;)

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Rajesh. Yes, it was Air India. Not only they have reputation for sticking to the rule book, they also make strange rules.

      Delete
  4. Interesting blog SG, and whats up with them not asking madam themselves, weird..... its like as if she couldn't tell them herself....As far as no drink for domestic passenger all that comes to mind is "STUPID POLICY/RULE".....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Dee. That was my question also. Why can't the flight steward ask my wife directly.

      Delete
  5. I think it makes sense... Why make discrimination apparent? Rules can be rules, but then they should also know what they should do and when! But why could not he ask the "madam" directly?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Satya. I have the same point. Why can't the flight steward ask her directly.

      Delete
  6. Rules like this can be strange, SG. The flight steward was just following the rule. And you didn't do anything wrong either by offering a drink to a fellow passenger. Either allow or deny drinks to everyone. As simple as that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. Why can't these airline executives unable to think such simple things.

      Delete
  7. Some rules are strange, but not asking your wife directly, I guess its more to do with the stupid thinking that Indian women were not considered to be an individual but a shadow of either their fathers or husbands...
    i have heard almost all states in US have some weird and outdated laws but haven't quite experienced them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Reshma. Yes, it is strange for that Flight Steward to ask me what the "madam" wants to drink.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Deepika. I am glad you liked this post.

      Deepika, please visit here as often as possible. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. I can accept if it is about class - like giving drinks only to First class passengers or something. But this is really a stupid rule I feel. Also not asking women directly what they want to drink is again strange. What you did was great SG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Ash. This is really a stupid rule. Hope they have changed it now.

      Delete
  10. such a stupid idea by the airlines..

    and now i dont mind travelling with you , I know you will get me a drink he he he he :)


    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Bikram. You are welcome any time.

      Delete
  11. it seems strange.A sort of prejudice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your comments Sarala. Of course, prejudice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! You sent the message in an interesting way :-) Claps! Claps!

    ReplyDelete