Thursday, February 4, 2021

Real Hero

It was December 2012. Cross Country Race in Burada, Navarre. Kenyan Runner Abel Mutai was leading followed closely by Spanish Runner Ivan Fernandez. A few yards before the finish line, Mutai got confused where the finish line was and stopped running thinking he crossed the finish line and won. 

Ivan Fernandez realized Mutai did not know where the finish line was. He shouted in Spanish asking Mutai to keep running and finish. Mutai does not understand Spanish. Ivan Fernandez then pushed him from behind to cross the finish line and win the race. 

After the race was over, a reporter asked Fernandez why did he let Mutai win the race. He said I did not let him win, he was going to win. The race was his. 

The reporter insisted you could have won the race by overtaking Mutai. His reply was a class act.

 “What would be the meaning of my victory? What woud be the honor of this medal? What would my mother think of this medal?"



13 comments:

  1. Wow thats a true hero and a real winner kudos.... his parents definitely raised him right

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Dee. Yes, he is a true hero.

      Delete
  2. I wonder how a competitor was not shown the finish line beforehand. These are standard procedures at that level. In spite of that if someone is confused, it's a UX issue which is rare at big events.

    It's possible that the entire episode was rigged to generate a newsworthy incident.

    I hope not.

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Rajesh. It is going to be a long reply. Therefore I decided to make my reply a blog post. Look at my next blog post. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
    And you can quote me on that!

    Regards,
    Napoleon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Napoleon. I am really confused. Are you the French military leader Napoleon OR are you the Indian politician and actor (too tall) Napoleon?

      Delete
  4. Felt really wonderful reading about this historic race. Yes, we need to hear more about such great human beings. Thanks, SG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Sindhu. Long time no communication. Hope you and your family are doing well. Please write me an email.

      Delete
  5. I was watching SHOE next to me, as he was riding Gallant Man in the Kentucky Derby.
    And I thought...should I...as we were approaching the finish line. And then I remembered Napoleon's comment.
    SHOE can kiss my Iron Liege.

    Regards,
    Bill Hartack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your win was a one time accident. The hero from our own Golden Gate Fields is numero uno always for ever.

      Delete
  6. Great! He, a man of ethics, has won the race in all the hearts. Otherwise, people would have stamped him as a only a lucky winner. He has taught now a lesson to others.

    ReplyDelete