Thursday, October 7, 2021

Passport Problem

I just found out that no country will let you in (except your own) on a passport set to expire within six months of the date of arrival. So, international travelers, make sure your passport has a validity of more than six months when you are planning a foreign trip. 

My personal opinion is this is a ridiculous rule. A passport is supposed to be valid until the date of expiry. Why not I visit a country for 3 days if my passport is valid for another 5 months only? 

But again, rule is rule (however ridiculous it may be). 

You cannot fight the City Hall. (City Hall is a slang for government in general in North America)

Update:

There are some exceptions.  Will write about it in my next post.

19 comments:

  1. Interesting... I was not aware of this rule.... good to know.... as usual informative post SG....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I know this is the prevailing rule. I agree with your view. I think it is a practical administrative problem if a person, who has a valid visa, overstays What do you say?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Gowri. If a person overstays, he/she would be caught during departure from that country by the immigration people. Just FYI: USA is the only country in the world where there is no immigration check while departing.

      Delete
  3. They are happy if someone is leaving USA it seems. Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good you have cautioned would be travellers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have to worry about this bcos i don't have a passport. Useful info for those who do.

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Rajesh. May be you will need a passport someday soon to take a vacation abroad.

      Delete
    2. Given my health condition, I am unable to travel out of Chennai even. So me needing a passport is not practical.

      Destination Infinity

      Delete
    3. Hope you get well soon Rajesh.

      Delete
  6. Even I have felt that the rule is quite a ridiculous one. You have given a good example to illustrate the absurdity of the information.

    I also don't understand why should the passport number change when one renews it. When the person is the same, why should the number change?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the above comment, I meant .... absurdity of the rule.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your comments Pradeep. You are correct. Why should the number of a passport be changed when one renews!

      Delete
  7. There are many rules.
    Knew of this one; have faced this in the past. Sad when trip is denied due to less than 6 months validity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Anita. I understand your pain.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful work. Just wished drop a remark and say I am new to your diary and revere what I'm perusing. A debt of gratitude is in order for the offer

    ReplyDelete