Thursday, February 10, 2022

A page from the past

I just read an interesting news item. A couple from Japan were traveling to United States for vacation. Booked their tickets in economy class. The husband used his miles to upgrade his ticket to the business class. But did not upgrade his wife’s ticket. So, he ended up in Business class and she ended up in economy class for the 12 hour flight. 

The wife was not happy about it. She wanted to sit with him for the 12-hour flight. His argument is it is a night flight and everyone will be sleeping and therefore what is the point in sitting together. She got upset because she thought he chose business class over her and that is rude.

I suddenly remembered an incident in the past that happened to us. 

The year was 2009. I, my wife, and my son were traveling from San Francisco to London to see a few T20 World Cup cricket matches. We went to the San Francisco airport. We checked in using the self-service kiosk at the airport. My wife was upgraded to business class. Her name was selected at random. Now we have one business class and two economy class tickets. 

I went to the business class counter and explained the situation. I asked the agent if in any way she can upgrade me and my son also to the business class. 

Tup Tup Tup. Computer sound. A few phone calls by the agent. Could not hear what she was talking and to whom she was talking. Another Tup Tup Tup. Computer sound. 

She finally said – Today is your lucky day sir. I have authorization to upgrade you and your son also to the business class. 

We go inside the aircraft and take our seats. It so happened my wife’s business class seat was already given to a couple. The flight manager comes in. He said to me he is going to upgrade one person in our family of 3 to first class. 

My son said either me and or my wife should go to first class. My wife said either me or my son should go to first class. I told my son he should go to first class. My son asked me why.

I told him I and his mom are vegetarians. Since we were upgraded in the last minute, we are going to receive the same IVML (Indian Vegetarian meals) we would have received in the economy class. Since you (my son) are a non-vegetarian, go to first class and enjoy the best food and comfort. 

Half way into the flight, my wife and I peaked inside the first class. Everyone was sleeping except my son. We asked why he was not sleeping. He said he wants to enjoy the first class by being awake all the way. 

End of story.

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Gowri. Yes, very interesting.

      Delete
  2. Interesting....in the first story....the husband was mean to her.... should have asked for an upgrade for her also similar to what you did.... and I am in awe that your son was awake just to enjoy the first class.....but cannot fault him.... as I am sure first experiences are always special

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Dee. This was his first international first class experience. He had flown in first class on domestic flights quite a few times.

      Delete
  3. That is such a cool story, upgrades are always welcomed. The fact that you thought so much so as to ensure who gets to make the most of it is so endearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Pooja. Also, thanks for your complements.

      Delete
  4. So how was the experience of watching T20 matches from the stadium? ;)

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Rajesh. Very thrilling. We had the best seats. We were seated near where the Pakistani players were sitting. One usher came and told us "this is the Pakistani area. I would give you 3 better seats somewhere else". We declined and stayed in our original seats.

      Delete
  5. Mr. K. Parthasarathi wrote the following comments:

    I am not getting my comments published in your blog since a few months.i do not know how to set it right. I read all your posts without fail and in fact look forward to them.
    I posted one today.
    “ Your son’s response to your query in the last para gave a sweet touch to the post and left me smiling.
    You invest great charm even on mundane events of life with your admirable writing skill.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Mr. KP. And, thanks for your complements.

      Delete
  6. Aha!A fruitful decision. The couple should be together. Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So wonderful.
    Business class upgrades for the entire family can be very rare.
    Great that your son made the most of it! :)

    Sometimes happens in the railways too- they upgrade 3rd AC to 2nd AC! Many times from Sleeper Class to AC! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Anita. We were kind of lucky.

      Delete
  8. Nice, sweet anecdote. The first-time excitement!

    ReplyDelete