Friday, August 16, 2024

A Drive Thru Surprise

One bright morning, I was excited to get my favorite breakfast from McDonald's. As I drove into the drive-thru line, ready to wait patiently for my turn, something unexpected happened. 

A car zoomed in from the side and cut in front of me, bypassing the line entirely. I felt a surge of frustration and wanted to get out of my car to ask her to wait her turn, but then I remembered stories about road rage and how things can sometimes get out of hand. I took a deep breath and decided to stay quiet, choosing to focus on my own breakfast instead. 

Finally, it was my turn to order. I pulled up to the microphone and placed my usual breakfast order. After that, I moved to the first window to pick up my food. The smell of freshly cooked breakfast made me even more excited, and I couldn’t wait to dig in. 

When I reached the second window to pay, the cashier girl smiled at me and said, "You don't need to pay for your order. The lady in the car ahead of you paid for it." I was stunned. I glanced back, but the car that had cut in line was already gone. 

I drove away with my breakfast, feeling a bit confused but mostly touched. It was a nice reminder that there are some truly kind people out there, even if they might be in a hurry or facing an emergency. The unexpected gesture made my morning even brighter, and I decided to pass on the kindness in my own way someday.

PS: This is not a fiction.  True Story.  One more time this type of situation happened.  Going to San Francisco, at the Bay Bridge Toll Plaza, the toll collector told me the car driver ahead of me  has paid for my toll charge also.

18 comments:

  1. Very interesting. Touching twist. Patience always pays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Gowri. I am glad you found it interesting.

      Delete
  2. Toll charges are fixed, so someone else knows how much to pay. How did the lady in the car decide how much to pay for ur Breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Rajesh. Good question. In USA, at the drive thru counter, first you place your order in the microphone. Then you pick up your order in the first counter. Everything is in the computer. In the second counter, the cashier already knows what all the customers ordered and their charges. So, when a customer says she wants to pay for the behind customer, she knows exactly what the behind customer ordered and the charges.

      Delete
  3. Three months ago in departmental store in India I bought stuff worth rs.2867. (lot of items). But the bill showed rs.3432 and I paid thetce .
    amount. Three or four later I realised something was wrong. Manually added the price for each item and came with 2867 incl taxes.so I checked with manager and he asked me to bring everything for rescan the price. That was not possible because I started using grocery items. With heavy verbal argument with manager, found that they finally accepted their mistake. The previous person before me bought goods worth ,rsl 565.
    They added that amount too with my computer bill. They charged the previous person 565 and they also charged me excess of 565. How many people really go through this checking? Atlast, instead of refunding 565, they gave a credit for future purchase. Idiots. I am pissed off.

    Nice to see people doing good gestures like offering breakfast for cutting you ahead of line and paying bridge toll.
    Very rare to see this type of good gestures in india.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments seema. So instead of the previous customer paying for you, the store charged you their charges. So double charged you. This happens in India man. If the customer pays for the customer behind you. They will take that money and take your money 💰 also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People in US normally do not jump queue . There must have been a valid reason in the instant case as evident from their act of atonement. A touching incident.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard of such acts of 'passing on kindness', especially in the US and Europe. It's a good practice.
    I was just wondering since she was ahead of you, how did she know what you wanted to order? Without knowing what you are going to order, how will know how much to pay for your order as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Pradeep. Please read my reply to Destination infinity for the same question.

      Delete
  7. Wow, that's so unheard of! Must be your good karma :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Aish. And welcome to my blog. What the driver did to me is called "Pay it Forward", so that I may do the same to someone else. Very common practice in USA and Europe.

      Aish, please visit here as often as possible. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. This felt so good. I am happy you didn't get off the car and spoil it all by saying something. Such things bring a positivity to the day! Well done to both the parties.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So wonderful!
    May there be more such acts of kindness in our world!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really?
    A random act of kindness always feels good
    But I never came across such folks!

    ReplyDelete